A Memorandum of Agreement was reached on May 26, 2014 and approved by City Council on July 8, 2014. Below are highlights from Chief Negotiator Al Halaby’s report. For the complete contract ratification summary presentation please click here.
Report from Al Halaby, Chief Negotiator
In this round of bargaining we have made great improvements both to the monetary and non- monetary sections of the agreement, significant improvements that will be felt in a real way by the members and their families. Bargaining was respectful and productive, with the Union and the Employer reaching common ground in several areas and working through disagreements in a respectful fashion. In all our work, we were guided by only one motivation – improving the living and working conditions of you – our members.
Proposals & Meetings
Bargaining Surveys were sent out and tabulated in early 2013. The priorities you communicated to us through the surveys served as the basis of our proposals, which you ratified on Decembers 7, 2013. Shortly thereafter, your committee met with the Employer’s committee and we progressed through most items fairly quickly. There were naturally some challenges and snags in achieving this type of agreement, but in the end, we were able to work through them. A Memorandum of Agreement was reached on May 26, 2014. If approved, will go to council on July 8th, 2014 and new wages and retroactivity will be processed on July 18th pay period.
General Wage Increase & Market Wage Adjustments
The negotiated wage improvements are as follows:
- January 1, 2014 – 3% Market Adjustment increase applied to all classifications +
- January 1, 2014 – 2% General Wage Increase for all classifications
- Full Retroactivity applies
- January 1, 2015 – 2.5% General Wage Increase for all classifications
- Shift differential increases from $1.25 to $1.50/hr
- Lead Hand Premium increases from $1.30 to $1.55/hr
- Stand-by Pay Premium increases from $2.50 to $2.60/hr
- All Overtime payable at Double Time (2X), including for all Statutory Holidays
- January 1, 2016 – 3% General Wage Increase for all classifications
This represents a cumulative 11.0% wage increase with compounding, and follows the previous collective agreement (2011-2013) where a 9.0% wage increase was achieved.